Vain Pursuit #2: Wealth & Pleasure
Sermon Text: Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
Sermon Theme: We can have all the wealth and pleasure in the world but gain nothing.
Hedonism shares in the vanity of all earthly phenomena:
- Pleasure of the private pub (vv. 2-3)
- Pleasure in the garden (vv. 4-7)
- Pleasure of the treasury (v.8)
- Pleasure in the bedroom (v. 8)
Proverbs notes that laughter and pleasure often hide grief and sorrow (Proverbs 4:13). Indeed, Proverbs frequently pictures fools laughing on the road to destruction (Proverbs 10:23; 26:19; 29:9).
- Are you coping with grief or sorrow by laughing at things that do truly hurt?
- If so, are you ready to talk with a brother or sister that will help you process the grief?
- Are you on the narrow road to Salvation or the wide road to Destruction? Flee to Jesus for help and refuge today!
Solomon was trying to recreate God’s garden of Eden “under the sun” and failing at it.
- Are you attempting to create something like Paradise for yourself? Are you failing at it?
- Is your self-orientated toil creating in you a sense of meaningless?
- Does your pleasure-seeking quench your spiritual thirst?
The Preacher discovered that there was a “reward” for his efforts, but the ultimate objects of his search, “profit” and “meaning,” were lacking. He worked hard, but there were no lasting results from his labors.
- What results are you looking for in your labors?
- What does it achieve?
- Does it produce a fundamental change, answers or the satisfaction you anticipated?
- Do all pleasures fail to meet the needs of the man whose horizon remains “under the sun?”
Instructions for saving audio file…
To save audio to your local disk, click on the SAVE button above, then use the right mouse button on the AUDIO (MP3) and finally click on Save Link As to specify the target directory.